Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
A Dialysis Technician, sometimes referred to as a hemodialysis or renal dialysis technician, is certified to operate kidney dialysis machines. In order to become certified, you must complete official dialysis technician training. There are many dialysis technician schools that can certify you to become a dialysis technician.
What is Kidney Dialysis?
The human kidney is a type of filter. It is responsible for filtering and removing waste from the blood, which is then diverted into the bladder as urine. When the kidney stops working properly, it may be necessary for a patient to receive kidney dialysis. A dialysis machine filters the blood the same way as a kidney does, but it does it mechanically. By completing dialysis technician training you can be certified to operate a kidney dialysis machine.
To become a dialysis technician, there aren’t very many prerequisites or educational requirements. However, most states do require that you have a high school diploma or a GED certificate. In order to become certified as a dialysis technician, you will also be required to complete an accredited dialysis technician training program and pass the final exam to receive your certification.
Dialysis Technician Salary
According to O*Net OnLine, one of the largest partners of the America Job Center Network, the health technician occupations earn an average annual salary of $38,080, about $18/hour. It can be assumed that the dialysis technician salary has a similar average. Salaries in the higher dialysis technician jobs can range from $54,000 to as high as $100,000 annually for advanced and administrative positions.
Dialysis Technician Jobs
According to Indeed.com, as of January 2013 the average Dialysis Technician job listing was for $35,000 annually in the United States. The dialysis tech career path has good opportunities for growth and promotion.
Dialysis Technician Job Description
A dialysis technician is primarily responsible for setting up and operating the kidney dialysis machine. He or she is also responsible for providing direct care to dialysis patients and respond to patient concerns or anxiety. Taking a patient’s vital signs before, during, and after dialysis is one of the most common duties listed on a dialysis technician job description. Preparing the dialysate according to formula is another general job duty. There are other various functions of a dialysis technician, all of which are directly related to the maintenance and operation of a dialysis machine and a dialysis patient.
Top Dialysis Technician Training Programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Health Information Management
- Programs include BS in Healthcare Management programs and MBA in Healthcare Administration.
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance.
- Healthcare Administration programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Pharmacy Technology, Associates Degree