Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
A Dialysis Technician, sometimes referred to as a hemodialysis or renal dialysis technician, is certified to operate kidney dialysis machines. In order to become certified, you must complete official dialysis technician training. There are many dialysis technician schools that can certify you to become a dialysis technician.
What is Kidney Dialysis?
The human kidney is a type of filter. It is responsible for filtering and removing waste from the blood, which is then diverted into the bladder as urine. When the kidney stops working properly, it may be necessary for a patient to receive kidney dialysis. A dialysis machine filters the blood the same way as a kidney does, but it does it mechanically. By completing dialysis technician training you can be certified to operate a kidney dialysis machine.
To become a dialysis technician, there aren’t very many prerequisites or educational requirements. However, most states do require that you have a high school diploma or a GED certificate. In order to become certified as a dialysis technician, you will also be required to complete an accredited dialysis technician training program and pass the final exam to receive your certification.
Dialysis Technician Salary
According to O*Net OnLine, one of the largest partners of the America Job Center Network, the health technician occupations earn an average annual salary of $38,080, about $18/hour. It can be assumed that the dialysis technician salary has a similar average. Salaries in the higher dialysis technician jobs can range from $54,000 to as high as $100,000 annually for advanced and administrative positions.
Dialysis Technician Jobs
According to Indeed.com, as of January 2013 the average Dialysis Technician job listing was for $35,000 annually in the United States. The dialysis tech career path has good opportunities for growth and promotion.
Dialysis Technician Job Description
A dialysis technician is primarily responsible for setting up and operating the kidney dialysis machine. He or she is also responsible for providing direct care to dialysis patients and respond to patient concerns or anxiety. Taking a patient’s vital signs before, during, and after dialysis is one of the most common duties listed on a dialysis technician job description. Preparing the dialysate according to formula is another general job duty. There are other various functions of a dialysis technician, all of which are directly related to the maintenance and operation of a dialysis machine and a dialysis patient.
Top Dialysis Technician Training Programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Health Information Management
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- B/S Health Information Management
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Programs include BS in Healthcare Management programs and MBA in Healthcare Administration.
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance.
- Healthcare Administration programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- And more...
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
- Surgical Technology - Associate of Occupational Science